There are lots of benefits that come with working for yourself, whether that's by starting your own business or taking on various projects through freelancing. Reasons to become a freelancer include flexibility, choosing what you work on and the clients you work with, and earning potential.
Many people in various industries prefer to work for themselves and freelancing is the easiest way to do just that. If you have a family and need to work very flexible hours, for example, or are deeply passionate about one area of your work and want to focus on that, freelancing offers the independence to choose your working times as well as the type of projects you take on.
Freelancing in the Tech Industry
The tech industry offers a huge amount of potential for freelancing. Lots of roles in IT are in high demand, from cybersecurity experts to data analysts to web developers. Web developers and software developers, in particular, are highly sought after. Having experience or a qualification in this area opens many, many doors for anyone who wishes to freelance. Freelance web developers and IT professionals will never be out of work.
Benefits of Freelancing
There are lots of reasons to become a freelancer. The top ones for you depend on your personal situation and preferences. Some of the best advantages include the following:
1. Flexibility: freelancing lets you choose your own hours, as well as where you work from. You can set yourself up in a home office or studio, or opt to work from the beach on a sunny island. As a freelancer, you are your own boss and have the benefit of choosing where and when you work.
2. Starting small: freelancing is something that you can start slowly - it doesn't need to mean a rapid shift overnight. This is especially beneficial for anyone who is looking for a career change and cannot simply quit their current job to pursue a new career. Freelancing can be done alongside a full-time role in the beginning. This will let you build up valuable experience over time, without sacrificing financial security.
3. Select the projects you take on and clients you work with: choosing who you work with and which projects you take on is a nice benefit to working independently. The tech industry, in particular, has a lot to offer. There are thousands of companies around the world that need support from developers or web analysts on various projects. Selecting the organizations you work with as a freelancer means you can always work on something that interests you.
4. Strong earning potential: when working for an organization, you will generally have a set salary. Freelancing offers unlimited earning potential. As you progress and gain more experience as a freelancer, your earnings will generally increase too. Likewise, freelancing is a great way to boost earnings alongside a full-time or part-time job.
5. Opportunity to grow & develop: if you are dissatisfied with your current job, freelancing offers the ability to grow and develop into new areas. For those working in tech, an additional qualification in a new skill will enhance your CV, making you an attractive candidate for freelance jobs. For developers, for example, acquiring new coding languages is extremely valuable. Learning how to be an ethical hacker or studying UX design will also expand on your existing knowledge and open many doors in terms of freelancing.
6. Independence: Freelancing lets you choose whether to take on short or long-term projects and to also be selective about the companies you work with. The opportunity to branch into new areas rather than staying in one department is a big benefit for many people and will help keep your career interesting. The chance to diversify your experience is also a valuable perk that freelancers get to enjoy. This is one of the most popular reasons to become a freelancer.
Getting Started as freelancer
If you are seeking greater control over your career progression, trying to branch out into a new area, or planning a complete career change, it doesn't have to require years of study or a large financial investment to get started. A Bootcamp or short intensive course will provide you with everything you need to get started. The courses offered by Ironhack are ideal for anyone who wishes to start freelancing in the tech industry. They combine theory with practical skills to provide a well-rounded introduction to areas such as the following:
With both creative and technical roles available in IT, there truly is something for everything. Soft skills such as good organizational and time management ability are also incredibly valuable for tech freelancers - be sure to highlight these on your own website or LinkedIn profile.
Reasons to Become a Freelancer in Tech
The reasons to become a freelancer are plentiful. For those wishing to make a move, the tech industry has a lot to offer both in terms of job type and opportunities in the market. Once you have the basic skills, it's a case of building experience. Tech is a dynamic field with a lot to offer those that work in it. It is also a rapidly growing, stable industry to work in and will be for decades to come.
Kickstart your freelance career today. Explore Ironhack's accessible, affordable range of remote Bootcamps and get started with a new set of skills.